Project: NEON-PC – Neuro-oncological complications of prostate cancer: longitudinal study of cognitive decline (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-032358)
Call Start and finish dates: 12th to 26th december 2018
The Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto (ISPUP) opens a call to hire a PhD Researcher under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização through Fundos Europeus de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER/FNR) and through national funds (FCT/OE) (PTDC/SAU-EPI/32358/2017), under the scope of the project NEON-PC – Neuro-oncological complications of prostate cancer: longitudinal study of cognitive decline (AAC Nº 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto Nº 032358), coordinated by Nuno Lunet. This project aims to evaluate the trajectories of cognitive performance in prostate cancer patients and to quantify the impact of the oncologic disease and its treatments to the occurrence of cognitive impairment. The study will involve prostate cancer patients selected at two main hospitals providing care to approximately half the prostate cancer patients in the Northern Region (São João Hospital Centre and Portuguese Institute of Oncology of Porto) and male participants of the EPIPorto population-based cohort. The cognitive performance of participants will be evaluated before treatments and along on year, using the Montreal Cognitive Assessment and the Brain on Track. All participants suspected of having cognitive impairment will undergo neuropsychological tests and a clinical observation by neurologist.
- Scientific Area: Health Sciences.
- Admission requirements:
The candidate must have:
a) PhD in Public Health, Medicine, or a closely related field;
b) Good track record of publications in international peer-reviewed journals;
c) Experience in epidemiological research, namely regarding collection, handling and analysis of different types of data;
d) Fluency in English and Portuguese, written and spoken. Initiative, critical thinking and autonomy in carrying out scientific work will be highly valued. All national, foreign or stateless persons who hold a doctorate degree and a scientific and professional curriculum that reveals an appropriate profile to the activities above mentioned can apply to this call.
- Activity outline:
The researcher will be responsible for handling and analysis of quantitative data, and is expected to collaborate in designing, planning and managing of epidemiological studies, mostly within the NEON-PC project. The researcher is expected to produce scientific papers suited for publication in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Work place and supervision: Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto, under the supervision of the project principal investigator Nuno Lunet.
- Applicable legislation: The hiring will be governed by the Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of 29 August, as emended by Law no. 57/2017, of July 19, which approves the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (“RJEC”) and the Labour Code, approved by Law no. 7/2009, of 12th February, in its current wording.
- Duration: Work contract with non-fixed term according to the Labour Code, with the expected starting date on January 2019.
- Salary: The monthly salary is set in accordance with the provisions in RJEC, article 15, no. 1, corresponding to level 33 of the single salary scale approved by Portaria nº 1553-C/2008, de 31 de dezembro at 2,128.34 Euros gross. The salary is paid 14 months per year.
- Selection criteria: The selection methods are the Curriculum Vitae evaluation (90%) and an interview (10%), according to the Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of 29 August, as emended by Law no. 57/2017, of July 19. A pre-selection based on ranking from the CV evaluation will take place. The five first candidates will be called for an interview. The successful candidate must score at least 10 points (half of the total score) both in the CV and in the interview.
8.1. Criteria for Curriculum Vitae evaluation (scale from 0 to 20 points):
a) Experience in the design and planning of epidemiological studies (0-2 points);
b) Experience in managing and analysis of quantitative data (0-5 points);
c) Quality and number of publications in peer-reviewed journals (0-8 points);
d) Participation in research activities involving multi and interdisciplinary teams of researchers (0-2 points);
e) Proficiency in English and Portuguese, written and spoken (0-3 points).
8.2. Criteria for interview evaluation (0 to 20 points):
a) Professional knowledge and skills to accomplish the work plan (0 to 9 points);
b) Motivation towards the research project (0 to 4 points);
c) Communication skills (0 to 3 points);
d) Professional attitude (0 to 4 points).
- Members of the jury: Nuno Lunet (president); Vitor Tedim Cruz (effective member); Filipa Fontes (effective member); Elisabete Ramos (reserve member).
- Non-discrimination and equal access policy:
ISPUP actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
- Documents required:
Applications must be formalized by an application letter along with the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, supporting documents of all degrees obtained by the candidate (including PhD), motivation letter, and other relevant documents (if applicable). Applications must be sent by e-mail to email@example.com (Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please highlight the following reference in the subject field of the application email: “Postdoc Researcher – NEON-PC”.
- Notification of results: Candidates will be notified by email and all relevant information will be published at the ISPUP website (http://www.ispup.up.pt).
The minutes with the final classification were made available to the candidates. The minutes are posted on the Institute for the period determined in a public notice