Project: “The influence of exposure to urban air pollutants, green and blue spaces, and biodiversity on the development of allergic diseases and asthma in children: a life-course and eco-social approach” (EXALAR 21 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto nº 30193)
Call start and finish dates: 25th july to 7th august 2018
CALL FOR A PHD HIRING FOR THE PROJECT UNDER THE SCOPE OF THE PROJECT EXALAR 21 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto nº 30193
The Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto (ISPUP) opens a call to hire a PhD Researcher, for the Epidemiology Research Unit correspondent to the initial level according to the Applicable Regulation, under a contract with undefined term, under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização through Fundos Europeus de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER/FNR) and through national funds (FCT/OE), under the scope of project “The influence of exposure to urban air pollutants, green and blue spaces, and biodiversity on the development of allergic diseases and asthma in children: a life-course and eco-social approach” (EXALAR 21 02/SAICT/2017 - Project nº 30193), coordinated by Ana Isabel Ribeiro, according to the following conditions:
Portuguese Labor Law, approved by Law nr 7/2009, from 12thFebruary in its current writing.
Regulatory Decree Nr 11-A / 2017, of 29th December.
- Work Plan Activities
This project aims to investigate the impact of exposure to air pollution, green and blue spaces, and biodiversity, from conception until 10 years of age, in the development of allergic diseases and asthma, based on a birth cohort recruited in the Porto Metropolitan Area: Geração 21.
The hired PhD researcher will participate in the following tasks:
- Coordination of physiological and serological evaluation of participants, as well as supervision of specific IgE quantification assays;
- Processing Geração 21 cohort data variables;
- Statistical analysis and database management;
- Results dissemination through presentation and writing of scientific outputs.
- Members of the Selection Panel:
President of the Panel – Ana Isabel Ribeiro, PhD
Panel Member – André Moreira, PhD
Panel Member –Maria João Fonseca, PhD
Alternate Panel Member: Raquel Lucas, PhD
Alternate Panel Member: Sílvia Fraga, PhD
- Start Date and workplace: The contract is expected to start in September 2018 and will remain for 8 months, renewed up to 30 months; the activities will be developed in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Porto and in the Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto.
- Monthly remuneration: Gross monthly remuneration is 2.128,34€, in accordance with subsection a), section 1, article 15 from Law nr 57/2017, 19th July, and with the remuneration position at initial level predicted in article 2 of Regulatory Decree nr 11-A/2017, of 29thDecember, correspondent to level 33 of the Salary Table, approved by Order nr 1553-C/2008, 31st December.
- Requirements: Any National, foreign and stateless candidate(s) that hold the following requirements, proved by documental evidence, can apply:
- PhD in Public Health or Occupational Health;
- Immediate availability (should be disclosed in the motivation letter)
In the case of the PhD degree has been obtained by a foreign institution, the degree must comply with the provisions of Decree-Law nr 341/2007, 12th October, and all formalities established there must be fulfilled by applications deadline.
Note: Failure to comply with these requirements will result in the rejection of the application.
6. Profile of the Candidate:
- Experience in clinical research with proven skills in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge or experience in allergology and clinical immunology, more specifically in designing and/or conducting clinical trials, submitting project designs to ethical committees and/or international databases such as clinicaltrials.gov;
- Knowledge or experience in nutritional and lung function assessment, anthropometric measurements and allergic physiological evaluations, being highly accounted publications and communications in the field, as well as knowledge in specific IgE quantification methods (ImmunoCAP) and exhaled breath metabolomics;
- Experience in database management and statistical analysis.
- Selection methods:
Curricular evaluation (AC) and, if needed, selection interview (E) to the three highest qualified candidates in the AC. Final classification will be obtained through the following equation: 0,5 x AC + 0,5 x E, in a scale from 0 to 20 points. If no interview is needed, final classification will be equal to the one obtained in AC.
Evaluation criteria will be based on the points referred in the Profile of the Candidate section. During interviews, if needed, evaluation criteria will be: specific knowledge for conducting the expected workplan, motivation for the scheduled activities, speech capabilities and attitude.
Based on the final evaluation, a reserve list will be created and followed in case of withdrawal by the candidate that placed first.
If none of the candidates show to attain the expected profile for conducting the workplan, the selection panel reserves the right to not hire any candidate for the present call.
All relevant information will be published at the Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto website (http://www.ispup.up.pt).
- Application procedure:
The call is open from 25 July to 7 August 2018.
Submissions should be mandatorily officialised though email to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com (C.C.) with the subject reference “ISPUP | 1 ID | EXALAR21”, with the following attachments:
Motivation letter, in which the candidates should refer to the skills listed in the Profile of the Candidate section, expose their reasons for conducting scientific research and applying to the present call, and how their academic profile and experience fit the project;
Curriculum Vitae, with full name and contact information;
A copy of the relevant academic certificates;
Any document the candidates feel important for their evaluation in the present call.
Submitted documents should be named with the first and last name of the candidate, not exceeding 5MB in the whole.
The minutes with the final classification were made available to the candidates. The minutes are posted on the Institute for the period determined in a public notice.