Project: Appetite regulation and obesity in childhood: a comprehensive approach towards understanding genetic and behavioral influences (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030334)
Call start and finish dates: August 18th to September 13th, 2018
Summary: The project aims to understand the contribution of appetite-related eating behaviours as drivers for excess adiposity-gain across the life span, specifically within the context of gene-environment interactions. The research designed to meet this general aim is organized into three different work packages (WP): WP1: population-based evidence; WP2: experimental data; WP3: results dissemination.
Added value will be provided through extensive data collected within large prospective birth cohorts, including twins, permitting mechanisms to be disentangled, using a longitudinal design, such as the early-life influences of appetitive traits and the importance of genetic factors versus those of the shared environment on child’s weight. It will also provide evidence on the predictive value of these appetitive traits. At the end, it will collate and compile current evidence including these new results in health educational materials and to promote its dissemination to parents and stakeholders.
- Scientific Area: Health Sciences
- Admission requirements
The candidate must have:
a) PhD in Public Health, Medicine or a related field (certificate);
b) experience in research projects (certificate/letter of recommendation);
c) good publication track record (papers published in international peer-review journals)
Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in coordination and managing of cohort studies, and ability to perform independent data analysis. The initiative and critical thinking will also be taken into account in evaluating candidates.
- Activity Outline
The researcher will be responsible for managing tasks related with cohort studies and an experimental study, handling and analysis of quantitative data and the production of scientific papers.
- Work place and Supervision: Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto, under supervision of Doutora Andreia Oliveira. Address: Rua das Taipas 135-139 4050-600, Porto, Portugal
- Legislation applicable: The hiring will also be governed by the Labour Code approved by Law no. 7/2009 of the 12th February, as currently worded.
- Duration: The initial duration of the position is 12 months, renewable up to 30 months (in maximum). The expected starting date is October 2018 and the contract cannot exceed the project’s duration.
- Monthly salary: The monthly salary is set in accordance with the provisions in RJEC, article 15, no. 1, corresponding to level 33 of the single salary scale approved by Decree no. 1553-C/2008 of the 31st December, at 2,128.34 Euros gross. The salary is paid 14 months per year.
- Selection criteria: The selection methods are the Curriculum Vitae evaluation (60%) and an interview (40%). A pre-selection based on ranking from the CV evaluation will take place, being called to interview the five first candidates. The successful candidate must have 10 points (half of the total score) in CV and in interview.
1. Criteria for Curriculum Vitae evaluation (scale from 0 to 20 points):
a) Experience in managing and coordination of population-based research projects (0 to 6 points)
b) Experience in managing and analysis of quantitative data (0 to 4 points)
c) Number and quality of international publications in peer-review journals (0 to 4 points)
d) Supervision of Master or PhD students in Epidemiology or Public Health (0 to 2 points)
e) Presentation of results in scientific meetings (0 to 2 points)
f) Fluent English speaker and writer (0 to 2 points)
2. Criteria for interview evaluation (scale from 0 to 20 points):
a) Professional knowledge to accomplish the work plan (0 to 9 points)
b) Motivation to conduct the research plan ( 0 to 4 points);
c) Communication abilities (0 to 3 points)
d) Professional attitude (0 to 4 points).
- Members of the Jury:
Andreia Oliveira, Institute of Public Health, University of Porto (President)
Carla Lopes, Faculty of Medicine and Institute of Public Health, University of Porto (Member)
Elisabete Ramos, Faculty of Medicine and Institute of Public Health, University of Porto (Member)
- Documents Required: Applications must be formalized by an application letter attaching the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, academic certificate of PhD, letter of reference, letter of motivation and other relevant documents (if applicable).
Applications should be sent by email to “email@example.com” or personally delivered to Joana Ferreira, Instituto de Saúde Pública da Universidade do Porto, Rua das Taipas 135, 4050-600 Porto, within the timeframe of the call. Please highlight in subject the project you are applying to “Post-Doc Researcher – Appetite & Obesity”.
- Notification of results:
- Candidates will be notified by email and relevant information will be published at ISPUP website (http://www.ispup.up.pt).