Project: Exposure to food additives and contaminants from food processing and packaging: Defining patterns and their effects on adiposity and cognitive function from childhood to adolescence (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031949).
Call start and finish dates: September 11 to September 24, 2018.
International Call for Post-Doc Researcher – FOCAcCIa Project -FOod Contaminants Adiposity CognItive - POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031949
Call dates to start and finish: September 11 to September 24, 2018.
Project title: Exposure to food additives and contaminants from food processing and packaging: Defining patterns and their effects on adiposity and cognitive function from childhood to adolescence (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031949).
The Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto (ISPUP) opens one call to hire a PhD Researcher under Sistema de Apoio à Investigação Científica e Tecnológica (SAICT) – Call nr 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto de Investigação Científica e Desenvolvimento Tecnológico (IC&DT), funded by Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização through Fundos Europeus de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER/FNR) and through national funds (FCT/OE) (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-031949), under the scope of project Exposure to food additives and contaminants from food processing and packaging: Defining patterns and their effects on adiposity and cognitive function from childhood to adolescence (AAC Nº 02/SAICT/2017 - Projeto Nº 031949), coordinated by Carla Lopes.
This project will allow to describe the exposure to these contaminants using previously collected information of dietary intake from a representative sample of the Portuguese population (the national nutrition and physical activity survey, IAN-AF 2015-2016) and to develop predictive statistical models to improve estimation of exposure by additionally using biomarkers of exposure in urinary samples. Also, it intends to increase knowledge on the influence of these chemicals on adiposity and cognitive function from childhood to adolescence, trying to understand common metabolic pathways, using a longitudinal approach with data from a population-based birth cohort - Generation XXI.
Objectives achievement is assured by sustained background knowledge of researchers from areas of nutrition, psychology, food toxicology and mathematics, and by their large experience in methodological aspects of dietary assessment and on conducting cohort studies. This project benefits from early work of the team that developed a software for dietary assessment (eAT24) which integrates the food classification and description system FoodEx2 and an extensive food composition data which allows for better exposure assessment. Also, using longitudinal data and the use of complex statistical models are strengths for obtaining better evidence for developing public policies to reduce exposure to adverse food compounds and to support the definition of risk management actions.
- Scientific Area: Health Sciences
- Admission requirements
The candidate must have:
- PhD in Public Health, Medicine or a related field (certificate);
- Experience in research projects (certificate/letter of recommendation);
- Good publication track record (papers published in international peer-review journals)
Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in coordination and managing epidemiologic studies, with experience in the use of dietary assessment methods, and with ability to perform independent statistical data analysis and to perform scientific papers.
- Activity Outline
The researcher will be responsible for handling tasks related with management of dietary data bases from the national dietary survey and also from population based cohorts, tasks related with the fieldwork in the scope of the Generation 21 birth cohort, namely related with the collection and handling of new dietary data, and also he/she will be in charge of analysis of quantitative data and the production of scientific papers.
- Work place and Supervision: Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto, under supervision of Carla Lopes and Duarte Torres. Address: Rua das Taipas 135-139 4050-600, Porto, Portugal
- Legislation applicable: The hiring will be governed by the Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of 29 August, as emended by Law no. 57/2017, of July 19, which approves the doctorate hiring regime destined to stimulate scientific and technological employment for all knowledge areas (“RJEC”) and the Labour Code, approved by Law no. 7/2009, of 12th february, in its current wording.
- Duration: Work contract with non-fixed term according to the Labour Code, with the expected starting date on October 2018. This contract cannot exceed the project’s duration.
- Monthly salary: The monthly salary is set in accordance with the provisions in RJEC, article 15, no. 1, corresponding to level 33 of the single salary scale approved by Decree no. 1553-C/2008 of the 31st December, at 2,128.34 Euros gross. The salary is paid 14 months per year.
- Selection criteria: The selection methods are the Curriculum Vitae evaluation (90%) and an interview (10%), according to the Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of 29 August, as emended by Law no. 57/2017, of July 19. A pre-selection based on ranking from the CV evaluation will take place, being called to interview the five first candidates. The successful candidate must have at least 10 points (half of the total score) in CV and in interview.
- Criteria for Curriculum Vitae evaluation (scale from 0 to 20 points):
- Experience in managing and coordination of population-based research projects (0 to 3 points)
- Experience in managing dietary databases (0 to 4 points)
- Experience in statistical analysis (0 to 3 points)
- Number and quality of international publications in peer-review journals (0 to 4 points)
- Supervision of Master or PhD students (0 to 2 points)
- Presentation of results in scientific meetings (0 to 2 points)
- Fluent English speaker and writer (0 to 2 points)
- Criteria for interview evaluation (scale from 0 to 20 points):
- Professional knowledge to accomplish the work plan (0 to 9 points)
- Motivation to conduct the research plan ( 0 to 4 points);
- Communication abilities (0 to 3 points);
- Professional attitude (0 to 4 points).
- Members of the Jury:
Carla Lopes, Faculty of Medicine and Institute of Public Health, University of Porto (President)
Duarte Torres, Faculty of Food and Nutrition Sciences and Institute of Public Health, University of Porto (Member)
Milton Severo, Faculty of Medicine and Institute of Public Health, University of Porto (Member)
- Non-discrimination and equal access policy: ISPUP actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
- Documents Required: Applications must be formalized by an application letter attaching the following documents: Curriculum Vitae, academic certificate of PhD, letter of reference, letter of motivation and other relevant documents (if applicable).
Applications should be sent by email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” or personally delivered to Joana Ferreira, Instituto de Saúde Pública da Universidade do Porto, Rua das Taipas 135, 4050-600 Porto, within the timeframe of the call. Please highlight in subject the project you are applying to “Post-Doc Researcher – FOCAcCIa Project”.
- Notification of results: Candidates will be notified by email and all relevant information will be published at the ISPUP website (http://www.ispup.up.pt).
The minutes with the final classification were made available to the candidates. The minutes are posted on the Institute for the period determined in a public notice.