Healthcare Quality Improvement
Research Scholarship (BI - Master)
A position is available within the scientific area of Healthcare Quality Improvement at the Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto (Ref. BINT2017002).
About the Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto:
The Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto – ISPUP – is devoted to create and disseminate high quality information and competitive knowledge in the broad field of public health. ISPUP promotes solid interaction among experienced researchers from complementary scientific fields and actively stimulates networking among relevant regional, national and international institutions with a dynamic exchange of clinical and population-based scientific information. As part of its strategic plan a hospital epidemiology group was launched that later engaged in a strong cooperation with Centro Hospitalar de São João, the largest hospital structure in the North of Portugal. http://ispup.up.pt
The fellow will be part of the hospital epidemiology team. He/she will be responsible for the evaluation of previously implemented projects and to delineate and implement new quality improvement intervention strategies.
Academic and professional requirements:
- Master Degree in Health Services Management or equivalent;
- Professional experience on the field of clinical epidemiology, health services research, outcomes research, patient safety or quality of care
- Fluency in Portuguese at working level (B1) and ability to speak and write in English documented by corresponding diploma or scientific papers as the first author
- Experience in the hospital field, namely in the development of quality improvement interventions or definition and interpretation of quality indicators
- Broad understanding of statistical methodologies and techniques
- Experience in using hospital datasets (administrative and others)
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel, or equivalent
- Interpersonal/ communication skills, including medical and scientific terminologies
- Publication track record – publication of 1 or more manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals with impact factor
Workplace: Institute of Public Health of the University of Porto, Porto, Portugal. Supervision by Doutora Ana Azevedo.
Duration and Stipend: The grant will have an initial duration of 12 months, with a possible extension, with an expected starting date in September/October 2017. Financial aspects are in accordance with the FCT regulations (http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), which assigns a tax-free stipend of 980€ per month (12 months a year).
Legislation and regulations: Lei Nº. 40/2004, from 18th August (Research Grant Holder Statute) republished by supplement - Decreto-Lei n.º 202/2012, from 27th August (http://www.fct.mctes.pt/pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutodobolseiro) and Regulations for Advance Training and Qualification of Human Resources 2015 (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/regulamentos.phtml.en).
Evaluation criteria and process: Curricular evaluation of all eligible candidates + interview (possibly by videoconference) with a maximum of six candidates. The final results of the evaluation will be posted in ISPUP’s website (http://ispup.up.pt/training-positions/scholarships/open-positions/
Jury: Ana Azevedo, Sofia Correia, Sílvia Fraga
Call start and finish dates: 14th August to 6th September
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Academic degree certificate(s);
- Motivation letter
Applications should be sent by email to “email@example.com” (or personal delivery) to Joana Ferreira, Instituto de Saúde Pública da Universidade do Porto, Rua das Taipas 135, 4050-600 Porto, within the timeframe of the call.